Monday 15 August 2011

Thing 12 Role of Social Media

I must admit I sat on this one all last week after the events of 6th - 8th August (riots.)  Social Media was getting bad press. Yes, it can build up networks in a negative way, but it also proved invaluable in fostering a sense of community spirit when it was used to rally a clean-up operation.
An extreme example of advantages and disadvantages!
For myself, being part of CPD23 has certainly intoduced me to ways of using social media sites for career development in a way I never 'got' before. I have made contact with so many people who I wouldn't normally meet, from all areas of the profession. I can access relevant professional reading so much quicker now by using tools like Google Reader and HootSuite.
And it doesn't all have to be work-related! Via Twitter I can follow all the painful steps of moving house from one contact, see lovely calming pics of gardens from another, and keep up with Gareth's multi-layered work/life balance (you know who I mean!) for great entertainment!
I have found social media can really foster a great sense of community, and for solo librarians especially that must be a huge benefit.

No comments: