Monday 17 October 2011

Thing 22 Volunteering to get experience

I've looked at this Thing from the opposite view!

My career in libraries started a long time ago (!) when jobs were much easier to get. Even when I sought to make changes there was always paid employment to apply for. I must admit I've stayed with my present employer for 21 years...though I have had various library roles in that time. I think I've done this because as I got older the thought of going through interviews became more daunting.
The last three years have been very difficult for employers and job security can no longer be guaranteed. I've started to look at flexible retirement and even voluntary redundancy. If this was to happen I may be looking to do some voluntary work in a local library!
I see this as a way of sharing my experience with new starters.

While I am still working I would be more than happy to have someone work with me in a voluntary capacity as a way for them to get on the career ladder.

No comments: