Friday 29 July 2011

Falling behind...again!!!

Thing 6   Online Networks

At the College where I work we have gone from actively preventing students from 'wasting time' on sites like Facebook, to 'talking to them this way' on all sorts of subjects.
It was frowned on for staff to be seen 'social networking' but suddenly our staff intranet page has links to LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter etc.
I had already set up Facebook and LinkedIn accounts a long time before this, and used to check the sites at home. Now I feel fine about checking these at work, although I have to admit I keep Facebook purely for social use. A lot of my 'friends' are work colleagues, however, so chat is often about things connected with work (loosely!)
I don't think I use LinkedIn to its' full potential and this is something I am going to add to my PPDP (I have recently applied for Chartership, but intend to keep my PPDP up to date and use it as a working tool.
I have joined LISNPN but again, don't really do much with it. As my working conditions prevent me from attending many events offsite I really should make more use of online networking.
Since starting this course I have set up a blog, follow other blogs, and joined Google Reader in order to make it easy for me to check posts easily.
I still feel a bit 'guilty' sometimes when I'm online networking at work...as if others think I'm just 'playing about' on Facebook!
I need to see the whole social networking thing as work-related, and by being better known and better connected I will be better equipped to do my job well

No comments: